Staying fabulous at 50+

Is It Hot In Here Or Is It Just Me?

If you are under the age of 45 then there is nothing to see here so please move along and make way for the women of a certain age.

Menopause


I've been feeling a bit strange/odd/unwell for the last 6 or 7 months, nothing I could put my finger on, just a bit meh.  I have had lots of niggly symptoms such as extreme fatigue, weight gain, memory loss, cold hands and feet, tingly fingers and thinning hair just to name a few.  Then 2 months ago I started waking in the night in a hot sweat, not just a bit warm, I'm talking full on sweat, damp pillow, wet hair, oh my god, some nights I thought I was going to self combust with the heat.  I demanded my husband fit a ceiling fan immediately, which he duly did, this did not help, the breeze from the fan was lovely, however, the noise from the fan made me want to throw a brick at it.  When these tropical moments started happening during the day and some other symptoms appeared I decided it was time to visit the GP.  

Well that was easier said than done, it has taken 3 weeks to get an appointment due to a new booking system.  So on Friday off I went with my list of symptoms, yes I took a list as with my memory problems I couldn't trust myself to remember everything.  I reeled everything off that had been happening since January and when I had finished he said 'Jude, I think you'd have been better off going to the vet, they would've put you out of your misery'!  He then said that although some of the symptoms I'm having are clearly indicative of the menopause there are other symptoms that are more likely to be an under active Thyroid.  After discussing the treatment options open to me for both conditions he made an appointment for me to give an armful of blood and a follow up appointment in a few weeks.

When I got home I did what most people would do and googled my symptoms, now I don't normally do this as god knows what I would diagnose myself with and there is every chance that I could die from a misprint.

In this case though I have symptoms that would fit with both conditions.

Although I haven't had a conclusive diagnosis yet I want to investigate what treatments are available to me.

I just wondered if any of my readers are going through the menopause or dealing with Thyroid problems?  

I would like to know if you are treating these conditions with conventional medication or whether you have found natural remedies that are working for you.  How long after treatment started did you being to feel better.  Have you suffered any side effects from either conventional or natural remedies?  If you are happy to discuss this with me but don't want to do it in the comments then please feel free to email me at fairydust.dunn@gmail.com

I'm really looking forward to hearing about other people's experiences.


10 comments

  1. It was discovered that I have an underactive thyroid when I was pregnant with baby number four - I was so anaemic they put me through every test for every possible disease that you could ever think!!! I was fairly relieved it was 'only' an underactive thyroid! I have always hated doctors/conventional medicine, but I have taken my thyroxine every day every since - and from about day three I felt SOOOO much better. I don't THINK that there's much that can be done with alternative therapies, but would love to be told if there are - I never take anything else, and would love to junk these little pills too if possible. Viv x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Viv, I've just been doing some online research and it would seem that there isn't really much that can help with an under active Thyroid apart from conventional Thyroxin. There are some people that say Iodine is a good supplement to take but I can't find any scientific trials that confirm or deny this. I'm glad that you felt better in such a short space of time. I'm just looking forward to a diagnosis one way or the other so I can work on feeling more like my old self. Jude x

      Delete
  2. No answers darling, just want to send you some *huge hugs*. The menopause is something I'm dreading tbh - and your point about memory loss has struck a chord with me because mine has been quite alarming lately! I'm not sure what route I will take as I am limited due to a family history of breast cancer.

    I hope you get some answers asap. It's SO frustrating when there is no black & white solution to a medical issue.

    Nic xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nic, thank you for the hugs, really appreciated. The memory problems started around April time, at first I put it down to leaving work and having an un-busy brain for the first time in years, but then after a while you just know that something is not right. I'm looking forward to getting a proper diagnosis so that I know what I'm dealing with and can get back to normal as soon as possible. I'm actually surprised that the menopause has arrived so late for me, my mum was only 35 when she went through it and both of my younger sisters have already been through it too, guess I was just so busy my body didn't have time :) Jude xx

      Delete
    2. hi Nic, (and Jude of course) our family has a history of post-menopausal breast cancer so doctors aren't keen to prescribe HRT. My Mum had a horrific time with night sweats, mood swings etc until she tried a natural progesterone cream, within a couple of weeks she was like new woman. Well worth looking into when the time comes :-)
      Kirsten x

      Delete
    3. Hi Kirsten, 'Update' Bloods have shown that my Thyroid is slightly under-active and I'm in full blown Menopause :( I have opted for low dose Oestrogen only patches, (getting Progesterone from Mirena Coil) been on them for 2 weeks and the relief from the night sweats and hot flushes is immense. As for the other symptoms, well I'm just hoping they improve with time :) Jude x

      Delete
  3. Like Nic, I have no answers either. I hope you get sorted soon and pronto. The drawing made me laugh so much xx
    liloo/@tsunimee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liloo, blood tests tomorrow so hopefully some answers next week. Jude xx

      Delete
  4. Thyroid problems and menopause often go together. Many researches believe that high incidence of thyroid disease during this time has to do with hormonal changes in pre-menopause and menopause. Most cases of hypothyroidism in US are due to autoimmune thyroid disease called Hashimoto's disease.

    Women with Hashimoto's can have both hyperthyroid and hypothyroid symptoms but end up being hypothyroid. So consider the possibility that all your symptoms can be attributed to Hashimoto's and not to menopause.

    Your doctor should check all your major hormones on day 19-21 of your menstrual cycle and order a test for thyroid antibodies. If thyroid antibodies are high it indicates Hashimoto's.

    You can check my article on connection between Hashimoto's and menopause here:

    http://outsmartdisease.com/thyroid-in-women-and-menopause

    I hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. postingan yang bagus tentang Is It Hot In Here Or Is It Just Me?

    ReplyDelete

© Love Lust & Fairy Dust

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig