Staying fabulous at 50+

Never Underestimate The Power Of A Tom Ford Lipstick

Almost a year ago I read this post from Charlotte at www.lipglossiping.com I knew then and there that no matter what, I would own a Tom Ford Lipstick in Pure Pink.  A word of warning readers, a visit to Charlotte's blog will seriously damage your wealth!

In April last year the husband and I travelled to London for a weekend, his mind on romance, my mind on Tom Ford.  I did my homework and booked a hotel at Marble Arch, which spookily enough is within walking distance of Selfridges.

As I walked into Selfridges my heart was all of a flutter, then, there it was in front of me, Tom Ford, Pure Pink, oh my goodness I was in love.  Only one thing was missing and that was a sales assistant.  I waited around for a little while, looking at the other shades of lipsticks, the husband was beginning to get restless and started asking awkward questions, like 'how much is it'?  I think I mumbled something like 'about a tenner I think', he then said he would pay for it and it was at this point I had to come clean and tell him that the lipstick of my dreams actually cost £36  Well he went quiet, he then went a bit pale, he then inhaled heavily and then he let rip, 'Thirty six pound for a lipstick.....................' and several other expletives which I cannot repeat.  He didn't shut up, he just went on and on about the price of this beautiful lipstick.  I put the lipstick back on the counter and walked out of the store with him still remonstrating loudly in my ear.  Once outside I suddenly felt enraged that as a woman of a certain age, who works hard, earns very good money, I had allowed this man to spoil my moment.  I mean, since when did I need his permission to buy a lipstick?  I think we discussed this fact whilst walking from one end of Oxford Street to the other.  He then did what most men at this point would do, he apologised and insisted that we go back to Selfridges and purchase the lipstick that he would pay for, I did what most women would do at this point and told him where he could shove the lipstick.

In June this year I fell down some stairs at work and hurt my back (stick with me, it's relevant) which resulted in me having to take a few weeks off.  During the second week I went into to work to take a doctor's note in.  On arrival I was presented with a forensic tube all taped up with forensic tape by a lovely work colleague.  I was intrigued and also slightly worried, I tentatively unwrapped the tube and inside was this..........

Tom Ford Lipstick in Pure Pink

Tom Ford Lipstick Pure Pink

It was a beautiful moment and one of those rare occasions where I was rendered speechless.  I had told my colleagues about the incident in London and they had then clubbed together to buy me this thing of beauty, to say I was overwhelmed is a bit of an understatement.

Now here's the problem, I have had this lipstick since June, I love it so much I haven't even swatched it let alone use it.  My intention was to buy another one when I went to the USA in August, but to my sheer horror I found out that this shade has been discontinued.  Are there any bloggers out there that have a Tom Ford Pure Pink that they would like to sell, if so, give me a shout, I'll gladly take it off your hands.

So ladies have your make up purchases ever nearly caused a riot in your house?  Do you have a product that you love so much you are reluctant to use it?





16 comments

  1. Great story! I love Tom Ford lipsticks I own Indian Rose. My hubby moans about all my beauty purchases! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beauty Balm, men just don't understand about our beauty needs :) x

      Delete
  2. Love this post, especially the bit about Oxford Street, that definitely rings true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlie, I take you have had a few of those Oxford Street chats with your other half!, men, they just don't understand :) x

      Delete
  3. I to mumble a 'about a tenner' to my OH if its a bit more than that.. Guys just dont understand! That was so nice of your collegues to buy you it though! You should use it but only for special occassions, otherwise its just a waste having it sit there in your collection! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanne Marie, I will be looking for a new job soon and I have decided that it will become my new interview lipstick :) x

      Delete
  4. I think that is so lovely of your colleagues, bless them, also tbh a bit of an indication of the sort of person you are, that they would do that for you! As for the OH and the Tom Ford rage, they just don't get it do they? Did manage to wangle a Chanel eye shadow out of mine recently and for six hours I loved that too much to touch it, but I love it even more now that I have used it! I think its a fab idea for this to be your "go girl" interview lipstick! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debs, after our chat on Twitter about this I am waiting for your post on how your OH ruined your expensive purchase :) xx

      Delete
  5. Jude, first, I never heard the story about you falling at work. That's terrible. Sorry! About your Tom Ford lipstick. I've never bought one, so I can't help you with your Pure Pink. I was so happy to read that your colleagues purchased this for you that I was cheered out loud! Purchases that cause a near riot in our house? Yes. Shop for beauty purchases without Husband. LOL! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Moxie, that fall at work was a minor discomfort to be rewarded with a Tom Ford lipstick. I will leave husband outside the shop next time I am Tom Ford shopping :) xx

      Delete
  6. For the love of God lady, please wear it. It's too beautiful not to!

    I live in fear of becoming like my mother. A woman who is surrounded by many, many beautiful and unused things. Treasures that she saves for best. When is 'best'. One day, there'll be no more opportunities for best. Enjoy it, love it, wear it today. And tomorrow. And the next day.

    So pleased you got your lipstick xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlotte, I know exactly what you mean about saving things for 'best', there never is a 'best' day. After reading your comment I have decided that TODAY is the day that I will wear my beloved Tom Ford for the first time. It is not a special day and in fact I am actually going to work, so anyone in custody will be dazzled by my Tom Ford smile :) xx

      Delete
  7. Love this story, and love even more that you posted a pic of Tom Ford lippy. That is my dream make up range!
    kerry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Kerry, I dream about owning all of the Tom Ford make up range, don't think my husband would be too pleased about that though :) xx

      Delete
  8. i literally laughed out loud with you and your husbands exchange because i've had soo many of the same incidences with my boyfriend. it's like when you get to the point of him apologizing and saying let's go back and get it you say no to make him feel even guiltier lol, at least for me. anyway, i also wish i had gotten my hands on the white packaging but they are so ridiculously overpriced on ebay (and they were ridiculously expensive to begin with).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jackie, these men just don't understand the make up habits of women do they? I have seen the prices on ebay and as much as I would like to purchase a back up of this lipstick there is no way I am paying over the odds for it :) xx

    ReplyDelete

© Love Lust & Fairy Dust

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig